Monday, April 26, 2010

on being sincere, silly, and smart

The other day I was reminded of a wonderful speech by Baz Luhrmann that he made for a graduating class of college students in 1997. Entitled "Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen)," I originally discovered it in high school and found a lot of solace in his words. Now at the edge of another turning point in my life, college graduation, I re-visited what he has to say. There are many standout aspects of his speech that I would like to share with you, but I would also encourage you to listen to him. They are short and simple, sometimes all you need to get your head on straight. 


What Mr. Luhrmann had to say:
1.) worrying about the future is completely, 100%, a waste of time and energy.
2.) do one thing everyday that scares you.
3.) the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young. 
4.) keep your old love letters.
5.) your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
6.) rely on your siblings-- they are your best link to your past and will always be there for you in the future.
7.) don't expect anyone else to support you.
8.) be patient with people who's advice you seek.
9.) don't be reckless with other people's hearts, and don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.
10.) wear sunscreen.

This inspired me to make my own list.

MPF's list of fabulously important things to remember:
1.) laugh until you cry at least once a day.
2.) dress up every once in awhile--it's amazing what that will do to your attitude.
3.) stay organized. make to-do lists.
4.) go to bed. this is coming from someone who got through all of high school and college without pulling one all-nighter, and I have never handed anything in late. productivity during the day goes a long way.
5.) remember: no one can make you feel small unless you let them.
6.) read the newspaper. a hard copy.
7.) buy books instead of magazines. you learn more from non-fiction than you do from Glamour.
8.) leave notes. who doesn't like finding a little love once in awhile?
9.) every now and then, acknowledge how thankful you are for the people in your life. they will do the same for you.
10.) hold the door.
11.) some days just call for putting your hair up.
12.) always wear your seatbelt. trust me.

Happy Monday!

4 comments:

  1. oh meggy. is baz luhrmann. i love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice... I love leaving notes for people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your list, I might even compose one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know whose list I like better, they are both so true! I love the "Do something everyday that scares you." I heard that from someone a while ago and now really try to live by it!

    ReplyDelete