Tuesday, April 13, 2010

On Being Giddy

Have you ever been in one of those moods when you're so giddy that you can't stop laughing no matter how hard you try? I mean to the point where it's getting borderline inappropriate? Tonight is one of those nights. I can't focus. I have resorted to reading article after article online that have nothing to do with productivity. This New York Times article about a 'Critical Shopper' in the Lilly Pulitzer store on Madison Avenue has sufficed in providing significant distraction before panic mode sets in. It is absolutely hilarious. My favorite insight: 
"When I visited the newly refurbished two-story shop on Madison Avenue, I was, as usual, dressed entirely in black, which doesn’t make me self-conscious in most New York locales. But here, it was a bit like attending a children’s birthday party in a latex ski mask."
My mood right now reminds me of a situation this past weekend when my pal CMG and I decided that going to the Wendy's drive-through was the best option for some quick food. I'm not sure what happened in the few seconds between the lady on the loudspeaker asking for my order and my brain kindly letting my mouth know what words should come out, but all that resulted was an obnoxious burst of laughter. I legitimately couldn't hold it together for more than three seconds before I would die laughing again. Looking over at CMG definitely didn't help, and every time I tried to spit out English words the lady would reply, "Ma'am, I can't understand you. Please repeat what you just said." This went on for about five minutes, and during these minutes there were frequent ten second intervals of complete silence. I'm quite surprised she didn't reach out through the speaker and strangle me. Needless to say I finally succeeded, paid the patient soul who waited on me, and then preceded to drive off without our drinks. Perfect. 

If I could channel all the energy it takes to laugh into studying for my exam tomorrow that would be really great. 

1 comment: